Dr. Reisig
Searching for Information in the Burke
by Dr. Jerry Reisig - Sunday, November 18, 2018, 8:59 PM

Students:

I want to first thank you for taking the time to use the Burke Library, and experience the depth of its collection. But I also wanted to remind you that the people who work at the Circulation Desk are not librarians. They are work study students and their job is to check in and out material and to reshelve books. They have many duties but they do not include doing research for students or showing them how to do searches in CLIO or ATLA.

I want you to succeed at NYTS and as scholars. I ask the following of you:

1. If you have not done so, activate your UNI and established a password. If you do not understand how to do it, see the documentation on Columbia University Library Access on the NYPL website. If you still cannot set it up, please email me at jreisig@nyts.edu.
  2. CLIO is an open and public catalog that anyone can view. Play with it from home, investigate its capabilities and do searches. Searching like playing the piano is a skill that comes only with practice
  3. The vast majority of the Burke collection is in open stacks, which means that you find the books that you need. Circulation will not pull books for you that you can pick up later.
  4. Before asking questions, follow the procedures that are outlined in the Access:Unlocking the Power of Research: A Guide to Library Services and Information Literacy ISBN-10: 1724925881. If you cannot understand how to search after following the steps, please contact me for a private session. 

Finally, I am sorry that I was not in the library this Thursday. As the school was closed and classes were canceled because of the snow, it never occurred to me that students would be coming to the Burke. I should not have assumed; I will try to do a better job of staying in communications.

In Friendship,

Jerry Reisig