Picture of Ishpal Kaur
President's 2020 Graduation Message
by Ishpal Kaur - Monday, May 18, 2020, 1:30 PM

Dear Beloved Students,

I pray you are healthy, strong, and safe during these challenging times. Even in the midst of this global pandemic, NYTS continues to prepare faith and thought leaders to engage in relevant, restorative, and revolutionary ministry. Our commitment to accomplishing this work gets stronger every day as we recognize the need for increased faith for our city, our nation, and our world. We are grateful to you, our students, for your diligence and dedication to this work.

You did it!

I am so proud of the NYTS community. You finished the Spring 2020 semester strong. We are in the midst of the most challenging health crisis that our country has experienced in a century. Still, you refused to let those circumstances stop you in the pursuit of your dream of obtaining a quality theological education. One that will equip you to engage these circumstances with wisdom and in faith. The world needs us now more than ever as they wrestle with questions of faith, hope, and the presence of God in the midst of this pandemic. I hope you are proud of yourself and your amazing accomplishment.

Summer Classes

In light of the COVID19 pandemic, we are following the guidelines established by the CDC and our state and local leaders. Therefore, we will continue our online learning platform through the summer. In addition to offering required and traditional elective courses, we are also offering some exciting new electives inspired by our current reality. In June, Dr. Reyes is teaching Eco-theology: The God/World Relationship, in July, Dr. Atkins is teaching Theology Confined: The Effective Study of the Word in Environments of Constraint, and in August, Dr. Han is teaching 21st Century Virtual Ministry. We hope you engage in these classes along with others that will help prepare and inspire you to engage our ever-evolving world. We look forward to our virtual  connection this summer.

Class of 2020

Congratulations! I am so very proud of you! The faculty, staff, and board are all enthusiastic about the impact that the NYTS class of 2020 will have on our world. The completion of your degree comes at a time when words like “social distancing,” “rate of infection” and “death toll” are normal in our conversation and in our daily news headlines. In response to these words, our world needs leadership that is intelligent, compassionate, bold, and wise - leaders like you. In his 2020 graduation speech, former President Barack Obama said; “The truth is that you don’t need us to tell you what to do, because, in so many ways, you've already started to lead.” When I think of you, I am in absolute agreement. The NYTS class of 2020 are our graduates of today and our leaders of today and tomorrow. Keep leading! Keep loving! Keep living! Keep Serving! Continue to make us proud.

Many blessings~

LaKeesha Walrond President