Picture of Ishpal Kaur
President Walrond's Welcome Message to Students
by Ishpal Kaur - Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 12:18 PM

President Walrond Welcomes Students to the new Academic Year

September 15, 2020

Greetings to the NYTS community! On behalf of the board of trustees, the administrative team, facility, staff and alumni; welcome to the 2020-2021 academic year!

I am so excited to welcome the newest members of our NYTS family, and to welcome back all of our returning students and our distinguished faculty. This year is special in so many ways as we all press forward in the midst of a global pandemic. Congratulations on your courage to continue, in light of so many unprecedented circumstances. You are at the right place at the right time and the best is yet to come!

Thank you for a wonderful convocation on Saturday! As we begin the fall semester in a fully online digital format, know that we are here to support you. We appreciate your patience as we navigate new terrain, new learning modules, new teaching tools, new ways of building community and new unlimited opportunities and possibilities. We pray that you continue to stretch your understanding, lengthen your faith and strengthen your relationships as you move forward in your studies at NYTS.

I am especially pleased to welcome the newest members of our NYTS student government association. Congratulations to President Stephanie C. Barnes, Vice President Halbert Clark, Secretary Tracey Cartwright-Roberts, Treasurer Jaime Rodriguez-Wise, and Chaplain/Historian Anika Davis. We celebrate their leadership as they commit to representing the NYTS student body and the administration looks forward to working with them to ensure that the 2020-2021 academic year is a productive and life-giving year for all students.

I am so encouraged by your commitment to theological education - especially during such challenging times. Our national, state and local elections will be held in less than two months and we hope that everyone in the NYTS community will exercise their right to vote as we work together to reimagine a nation where the humanity of everyone is honored. I pray that NYTS will continue to be the beacon of light as we prepare faith and thought leaders to engage in relevant, restorative and revolutionary ministry. Let us continue to be encouraged together for we know that the best is yet to come. 

Blessings,

LaKeesha Walrond

President, New York Theological Seminary